We left Mission on Thursday, March 16th at 9:05, 9:30, 9:43 10:11, 10:34 and 10:56 a.m.
Sometime during the winter months, one of my house batteries ran dry and blew its top. We filled it with water and one of the guys (Thanks, Dave!) came over one day and made sure everything was topped up and ready to roll. Sure enough, on the day of the big move, everything worked beautifully: the slides came in, the jacks came up, the engine purred like a deranged cat and off I went....for 12 whole feet. Just as I was about to venture forth, I noticed that none of my lighter receptacles were working and therefore I had no GPS and, even worse, no audiobooks to listen to on the iPod.
The guys in the RV park were incredibly helpful. They swarmed over the Beast, inspecting all of the fuses (and believe me, in an RV there are a lot) We eventually found one dead fuse and one tripped circuit breaker. Jim (our neighbor across the street) volunteered to run to the store and buy me the required fuses. Although it was replaced, still nothing worked. Fortunately, Jim had also bought a lighter receptacle which he wired into my CB radio and which (tada!) gave me GPS access.
So off we went, with me following Jackie and Carm just in case the GPS didn't keep working for the whole trip. They think I drive slow! I think they drive like maniacs. We always seem to manage to get to the same spot at the same time. Go figure.
Anyhow, halfway through the drive, the lighter receptacles started working. Unfortunately, the fridge started beeping and telling me that it had not switched over to the propane setting. And it still wouldn't - even after I bashed all the rust out of the pipes. That's when I had my "aha" moment. I needed new batteries. It was a very slow "aha" moment because it took until I got to Wills Point to try to find new batteries, but still.....