Scooter racing

Scooter racing
After parking for the night, we'll still have time for a little racing

Sunday 6 September 2015

The Kindness of Strangers

Wow it's been a good day....with a few moments of terror thrown in.  My mirrors have been a problem since I left Sudbury.  As a precaution, I was tightening them before driving anywhere and would touch them up whenever I stopped.  So, I stopped outside Indianapolis, tightened the two mirrors and off I went.  Naturally, the right side mirror waited until I was on a five-lane highway and had to make numerous lane changes to catch various exits to begin to spin around.  Just to make things really interesting, the GPS told me to stay in a far left lane and then, at the last minute, told me to take a right-hand exit.  Naturally this necessitated a short tour around Indianapolis to get back to the right exit.   Sigh....I came close to clipping one guy but otherwise I got out of there unscathed and made it to Effingham, IL.

That's where the day took a dramatic turn for the better.  I called Chad, who runs a mobile RV service.  He came out within 20 minutes, fixed the mirrors and, for good measure, fixed my fridge (which hasn't been working on gas since Sudbury).  He remembered me from the last time I was here. Then my neighbours, who arrived at the same time I did, came over and invited me for dinner:  steak, mashed potatoes and corn.  Yummmmy!!!!  They are a very interesting couple from Missouri who gave me all kinds of tips on what to see and do out there.  Definitely have to go out to Silver Dollar City now!

So, I have a working fridge, stable mirrors and a full tummy.  The weather is beautiful, the roads are good and the travelling has been fairly easy.  Oh yes, and I gained an hour somewhere along the way.  Tomorrow, Arkansas!

No comments:

Post a Comment