Scooter racing

Scooter racing
After parking for the night, we'll still have time for a little racing

Saturday, 5 September 2015

Sitting in a Parking Lot, Sweating

That's what I'm doing right now.....It's been a very long day.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I met a lovely family at the Soo KOA.  Karen and Brent and their kids, Bri and Jordan, invited me over for a fire and we talked and talked.  It was such a nice evening!  The kids are provincial champion figure skaters (you can tell, because they are Fit!!!)  Brent even came over to look at my batteries, which are not sparking enough juice to keep the fridge going when I travel.  Doesn't matter - I have no food in there anyhow.  Which also doesn't matter because I have no appetite - this stupid bought of bronchitis is excellent as a diet aid.

I left the Soo at 9:10 a.m. and was through the border by 10:10, which I thought was pretty good for a holiday weekend.  The trip south, according to mapquest was going to take 6 hours.  Maybe in a Ferrari.  In a beat up old RV, it took just a tad longer.  Especially when you have to stop every few miles to tighten the mirrors, which keep coming loose.  I didn't bother stopping for lunch.  All I have left is a taco shell and one slice of baloney - and that's for breakfast tomorrow.  The 2 frozen meals are completely thawed but I'm saving them for dinner.

So, by 6:15, I arrived at the campground that I had to beg for 2 days to reserve.  I got there and found a dirt road with a sign saying that big rigs should not go down into the gully.  There were 4 derelict RVs parked at the top of a small hill, across from a porta potty.  I called the office, told them where I was and they told me to go to the top of the hill and park in spot #18.  There was no spot #18.  I found 16, which would have fit a hamster cage.  The look of the place did not inspire confidence.  The road out was a swamp and I almost got stuck in the muck on my 3rd trip around the loop looking for #18.  Fortunately, I had seen a sign for Yogi's Jellystone camp just a couple of miles up the road.  Unfortunately (this being a holiday weekend), they were full up.  But they did allow me to camp in their parking lot, which also has electric and water hookups.  And WiFi.  It's 90 degrees out and humid.  I finally got settled by 7:30.    But then they wouldn't let me take my mobility scooter into the park to go for a dip in the pool.  Might have been the homicidal look in my eyes.

So here I am, sitting in a parking lot and sweating.  But I feel much happier being here than in a field full of muck and a porta potty.   My quest for tomorrow will be to find a campground which is near a grocery store.

Tomorrow, I'll be in Effingham, IL.  I'm hoping to get my fridge fixed.  Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment