Scooter racing

Scooter racing
After parking for the night, we'll still have time for a little racing

Wednesday 15 January 2014

The Search for Unpronounceable Gemstones

I've been busy since I got back.  In addition to RV and car repairs, there have been movie nights, bingo nights, and even a night being entertained by a truly excellent Elvis impersonator.  Lynda and I tried our hand at geocaching which, in Yuma, can be a tad tricky.  There are snake holes everywhere!  And not nice snakes either!  They are supposed to be hibernating but I don't think they would take kindly to being poked with a walking stick.  I'll just bet they wake up grumpy.



Dumortierite rock
Polished Dumortierite
The latest quest was for a stone called dumortierite which, according to the book, is a bright vibrant blue.  Maybe that's true after you've polished it for several weeks but, in the wild, dumortierite looks exactly like every other rock on the desert floor:  grey, featureless, kinda lumpy.  It is slightly heavier than the other grey, featureless, lumpy rocks but the only way to figure that out is to pick up 2 identical rocks and compare them.  There were lots of green rocks but Syd just wanted blue ones.  He and Lynda had no trouble spotting them, but the only way I would have found one was if someone had chucked it at my head.  After a couple of hours though, I started spotting them and even (accidentally) picked up a reasonably nice specimen.

Kyanite - easy to spot
Kyanite polished

I also found some kyanite which is a gorgeous light blue and at least it's easy to spot - especially the one I saw, which was the size of a football.





Then we went to a small mining museum where they had huge BOULDERS of these dumortierite rocks just laying around all over the place.  I mentioned that we should have just driven up and taken one of them but, apparently, that would not be what a true rock hound would do.  Who makes up these rules?!

No comments:

Post a Comment