Scooter racing

Scooter racing
After parking for the night, we'll still have time for a little racing

Monday 22 July 2013

REST IN PEACE, PRINCE PORKETTA


It is with a very heavy heart that I have to report that Prince Porketta lost his long battle with pulmonary fibrosis today.  He was my brother and he was a good, good man.  He had a terrific sense of humor, and he had a huge heart - he truly cared about his family, friends, and co-workers.  Although his disease put him through hell, he never complained.  His standard answer to any question about his health was "I'm good". 

From childhood, he had a thirst for adventure and his first reaction to any suggestion was "let's go".  He would lead me into trouble (ummm....adventures) - everything from bidding on (and almost buying) a calf at an auction, to jumping off the roof of a barn and spraining both ankles, to hiking miles from home without telling our parents (we didn't sit for a week after the searchers found us - a well-deserved spanking!).  He was the first kid on the block to own a motorcycle - and the first one to crash it.  He took up skydiving and only quit because he had emergencies 2 out of the 3 times he jumped….. he was adventurous, but he was no fool. 

 The Prince is the reason I bought the Beast.  We had often talked about RV ownership but, other than looking at them, I hadn't thought seriously  about it.  Then, when his health deteriorated after his Vegas adventure, he told me he'd always wanted to see Mount Rushmore.  So I told him I'd buy a motorhome and take him, if he'd show me how to drive the thing.  And that was the start of last summer's adventure.  His doctor told him it was a bad idea….. but the Prince just said "let's go", which is exactly what we did.   We had so much fun that, again defying his doctor, he and his family decided to go back the way we came in September!  This summer, we planned the Tour D'Ont - a 2 week tour of eastern Ontario which led us to the areas our ancestors called home before moving to Markstay.  He didn't even tell his doctor about that one!  In between these trips, he also headed to Florida every winter for "spring training" (i.e. sitting by the pool with a cool adult beverage).

 We had a ritual.  When we arrived at a campground, he would put down the jacks and get the slides out.  I would go out and hook up the electricity and water.  He would then come out with 2 cans of beer and we would make a toast to our location.

So, Prince, I continued the ritual tonight.  Just because you got to the destination first is no reason to mess with tradition.  Here's to you, little brother.  I will miss you forever.  Thank you for everything!

 

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Well, this is truly a sad thing to read. My heartfelt Condolences. This is coming from a total stranger I realize, but I mean it.
    Just this past Sunday, as a group of us were sitting by a friend's pool after dinner, one of our group said how we all had been pretty lucky lately, as we were all relatively healthy and "hanging in". We then realized, we'd best not even mention it, for fear of jinxing our good fortune. And this was from a guy who lost his wife a couple years ago to liver failure. She had also been part of the group, so it hit us all pretty hard.
    My impression is that you were able to enjoy your time together as best as you could, in spite of Doctor's objections. I'm not sure what the alternative would be, sit around and wait?
    Silly Doctors.
    Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you and your family. I lost my father to PF in December of 2010. PF is a terrible disease and I am so sorry you had to experience this devastating disease first hand.

    I too blog about this disease and started one (www.summit4pf.com) to help raise awareness.

    Remember the good times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob and John,

    PF is a terrible disease and very few people know about it. Gil would get angry when people would assume that he was using oxygen because he was a smoker. He hadn't smoked in 30 years! It's unfortunate that, in addition to coping with the disease, PF sufferers also have to put up with a common belief that they somehow deserve PF because of lifestyle habits.

    ReplyDelete